CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, February 4, 2013

Chicken & Dumplings

Another wonderful recipe from the Texas Tech School of Nursing Cookbook. Ah...chicken & dumplings. My first official flop dinner I made for my husband when we were dating. Haven't trusted Bisquick ever since. This, my friend, is the real deal...

*I use chicken breasts, or leftovers. I don't have time to de-bone things, and by the way, that chicken is HOT when it comes out. Usually I want to eat it ASAP, not wait til the chicken cools so I can de-bone it just to heat it back up again. I also prefer to use the chicken bouillon powder. I typically add more than is called for since I don't have bones to get the flavor from, and I usually add some to the dumpling dough to give those more flavor also. And speaking of dumplings, I usually double the dumpling batch. I wouldn't recommend that the first time you make it, unless you are a carbaholic like me, because it makes a TON! :)


Ingredients:
1 whole chicken, cut up
1/4 C onion, diced
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 1/2 Tbsp parsley flakes
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp celery salt
pinch of sage
pinch of thyme

Combine all ingredients in a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is tender. While chicken is cooking, combine...

2 C flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/3 C shortening, cut into dry ingredients
2/3 C milk

Directions:
Bone chicken, cut into bite size pieces and return meat to broth. Bring broth to a boil. Drop dough by the tablespoon into boiling broth or roll out and cut into thin strips (I tear off chunks, kids love to help). Reduce heat; simmer on low for 20 minutes; cover with a dome-shape lid and continue to simmer another 20 minutes (do not lift lid).

If broth mixture is too thin, mix 2 tablespoons of flour into a small amount of broth. Slowly add mixture to broth, stirring constantly until thickened.
 



 

 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment