CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, October 1, 2012

Carrot Layer Cake

I made some pumpkin cupcakes for my husband to take to work, and I had some leftover salted caramel buttercream frosting. I didn't want it to go to waste (because it is delicious!), so I decided to pull out this classic carrot layer cake recipe I've had tucked away in my want-to-make-someday file. I used the leftover salted caramel buttercream in between the layers, and whipped up some "That's the Best Frosting I Ever Had" for the top and sides. Dessert for me & vegetables for my kids. ; ) It's a keeper!

 
Ingredients:
2 C flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/2 C sugar
3/4 C vegetable oil
1/2 C buttermilk
3 large eggs
3 C shredded carrots

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour two 8 inch round cake pans. In a bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, and cloves. In another bowl, mix sugar, oil, buttermilk, and eggs. Pour oil mixture into flour mixture and stir just until evenly moistened. Fold in carrots.

Divide batter between pans. Bake until cakes are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Let cool in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then invert cakes onto wire rack to cool completely.

Place one cake layer onto plate. Spoon about 1 cup of frosting into center and spread even. Place second cake layer on top and spread remaining frosting over top and sides.

Serves 12

And here's a pic of a really bad frosting job! (It's supposed to be roses.) Practice makes perfect, so I guess I'll have to make another one!

0 comments:

Post a Comment