CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

"The List"

One of the things I hated about shopping, before I started couponing, was the fact that no matter how hard I tried to remember, I always left the store forgetting something. I was the typical jot-down-what-you-think-you'll-need-for-the-week kind of shopper. Then, while I was picking up items at the store, or right before I got to the store, I would think of something else I needed and say to myself, "Don't forget _____." And then I would forget!

Flash forward to my newfound coupon discovery, and a conversation with my couponing friend Carlie (whom has thee best frugal stories!). In it, she talked about "The List." She developed the habit of writing things down. If she was out of something, it went on the list. If she was running low on something, it went on the list.


Hmm, what a revolutionary idea!
So, I bought a book.

 $1 at Michaels. Can't go wrong there ; )

And I started "The List."
It took a couple weeks for me to get in the the habbit of writing things down, as I discovered I "needed" them. It was pretty easy if I was out (as in throwing away the container at that moment), but I struggled a little with things I was running low on. I didn't really need it, but I was going to need it, so I just had to focus a little harder on creating a new habit--you know, of predicting the future. ; )

Pretty soon, "The List" turned into a book of lists.

Master Grocery List
 My To-Do List
My Hubby's To-Do List ; )
My Wish List (for items I want but don't need -clothes, etc)
Kids Birthday List
Hubby Birthday List
Christmas Gift List

Let me just say, it's a good thing I bought a book!

I cannot tell you how thankful I am for this little list book of mine. I no longer forget items when I am at the store. I no longer fret & stress over what to get when birthdays are coming up. I can plan ahead and buy things on sale. And I "purchase with purpose" when I am at the mall spending my hard earned cash--meaning I buy the black shoes I need, instead of the white shorts that look "cute." Who knew "The List" would save me so much $$ over time, just by being prepared! I highly recommend you get one!

Thanks Carlie!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment